About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

beauty in chaos: they're just like us but different

Ok admit it.  You have felt sorry for yourself before.  Haven't you?  I sure have.  Even while in Uganda surrounded by people whose lives are so so much worse than mine that there is no comparison even on my worst of the worst of the saddest days.  Because that's just a day or a few days of my life and then I can go home, but they live here.  This is as good as it gets...EVER.  There isn't anything to look forward to for them.

Now do NOT hear me saying that our pain is somehow less important because we don't live in the 3rd world. I am not saying that we should live in guilt for the wonderful, blessed life that we have.  Also not saying that we are not allowed to experience loss or allow ourselves to simmer in it and really ache and acknowledge that our lives are hard or that our pain is real. 

We were born into a safe, blessed, wealthy, healthy place.  Every second of our lives is OF COURSE not characterized by those words, but in general that is where we live.  We didn't have anything to do with the location of our birth.  No one can choose where to be born. 

What if you were born in the dirty darkness of a mud hut in Uganda.  You may have never really felt full in your entire life.  So many people you know would have died from diseases that are barely a problem over here.  But you would still be you, with all the dreams and hopes and creative drive.  What would you do?  The woman who owns the shop above decided not to give up.  She is being who she was made to be and making things beautiful even surrounded by poverty, smog, burning trash, cockroaches, political riots and whatever else.  Her sign made me smile and feel like it is worth it to shine right where I am.

Be inspired to make things beautiful with the life you were given.  (and forgive me if you feel preached at...my heart is heavy with what I have seen, heard, smelled, tasted, touched and it's gotta come out.)

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, thanks for sharing that. It really touched me. Your words are so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thought to start my day. Eloquently put! xox Mom

    ReplyDelete