About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Monday, May 30, 2011

"mamma wange"

pronounced like "mamma wan-gay"  
it means my mommy
Jonny had asked for his Momma Wange several times the first week he spent with us.  Benny never did, to my knowledge.  Right from the first week Benny consistently referred to me as Momma Benny and then they both started doing it.  [meaning Johnny also started calling me "Momma Benny"] In fact, the nanny at the first place we stayed would jokingly tease Benny because he said/whined it so often.  In Uganda, you are often referred to as Momma-your-1st-born's-name.  So for example, my mom would be called Momma Rachel etc.  You can be called Momma-any-one-of-your-children's-names depending on the situation, but it is usually the 1st born.  Benny called me Momma Benny and referred to me that way when he was talking to other children as in: give me back my toy or I'll tell Momma Benny on you! 

our boys playing w/Deyo who lives there w/his momma
The Wednesday before we left, we were out longer than anyone expected and had left the boys at "home" in the compound with their friend Deyo and his mamma.  We had asked her to watch them since the 3 boys got along so well and she happily agreed.  We mistakenly thought we'd be out for just a couple of hours and why drag the boys along when they could have a great day playing?  When we got back I was tackle-hugged with exuberant shouts of "Momma!! Momma!!"  To my delight Deyo's momma reported that the boys were asking for Momma Wange all afternoon!  It made me smile to think how quickly that had happened.  I was their momma not because I was a female who was taking care of their needs. (like in the orphanages in Jinja)  This woman spoke their language and looked a lot more like them than I ever will and they were asking her for me all afternoon!  That was soothing to a tired momma's heart after a hard day.

Yesterday I received an email saying that Benny is asking for his Momma Wange.  That's me.  He is asking to be brought back to his Momma Wange.  I am asking for the same thing.  I want to be brought back to my Benny Wange and my Johnny Wange.  I referred to them that way while we were with them.  I would scoop them up and kiss their necks and say Johnny Wange or Benny Wange.  Also if they were sad I would hold them and call them MINE in their own language.  I wanted them to know that they were my babies.  I am glad I did it so often.  So far they still remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment