About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Sunday, September 11, 2011

28 days: but who is counting?

Who's counting?  Dad.  He updates us all everyday more than once. Another Sunday is here.  we were hoping to be arriving home last night but we are still here and will be for a bit longer.  The truth is you can talk a big talk about letting go of control and living in the moment and all, but when the hard days come and you hear more delays, well it is just hard not to be disappointed.  That's all.  I haven't lost hope or stopped believing it will all be fine or anything like that.  That is not what I am saying.  What I mean is...we have been away for 28 days.  It is easy from there in your own house with your familiar things around you to talk about just resting in the moment etc.  Harder to do than say sometimes from here where nothing is familiar.
You can see from yesterday's pictures that we had a great weekend away.  Dad is preaching today somewhere and the boys and I stayed home.  We arrived home after 9:30 and Benny had not slept at all in the car...booo!  He did chatter and sing loudly for almost every second of the 2 and a half hour trip though while elbowing, kneeing or headbutting me. Can't wait for carseats.  Not just for the safety but for the sanity!  I am a bit overtired and feeling a little fragile today as far as my level of calm.  [I'm thinking of Demolition Man "Enhance your calm, John Spartan!"]  I could use prayers for stamina and a positive outlook.  This is not easy in case you were wondering.  Finding out yesterday that after ALL the times that I called and spoke with different people (even supervisors etc to be sure they were clear on the difference between adoption and guardianship) and was given the information that I would be able to get paid leave with the Ugandan court order, they are now saying I cannot... this is enough materiel for an entire blog itself.  Please pray that will be worked out in our favor and quickly.  Here I was thinking that I would be getting paid leave while I was here and instead I was lied to by the insurance company before I left apparently.
Here are some true statements that help to put this trip into perspective:
1. this is one of the most difficult countries to adopt from.
2. some people wait for years. (there is a family who was here when I was here in June of 2009 to adopt their daughter -who was rescued almost dead from a pit latrine- and they still have not been able to bring her home to America! the couple has been apart for all that time.)
3. we are having an impact here with our new friends in Uganda and the churches dad is preaching at are being blessed.
4. This is not a delay to God. [think Gandalf's great line "A wizard is never late!  He arrives precisely when he means to!"]
5. The western mindset and way of life are NOT the only way to think and live. We are learning that lesson very well and we hope that some of you are learning it more than you knew it before. 

2 comments:

  1. I know! I feel for you. I can only imagine how difficult it is for you to linger there when what you came for is yours. But whatever happens you have and will continue to accomplish an amazing feat. These boys belong to you now. Their lives will be filled with great care and teaching. They will be fit for the Master's use. Breaking down strongholds on a persons life is no gentle task. We are very pleased that you are willing to go the extra mile to finish well. You may feel defeated (even slightly) But the joy which will be revealed to you will exceed this moment of harsh difficulty times infinity. Through Christ, you have defeat the foe. Exhaustion brings difficulty in handling the moment. Sleep as much as you can. We are holding you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in my thoughts. On a side note, what is biggest difference between adoption and guardianship? Are you moving towards adoption? Sorry I do not understand.

    ReplyDelete