About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Healing for Old Ouchies

In Uganda after nap Hayden and Mom posing w/the hippo's head
One day this week at lunch, Hayden and I had an intimate moment.  This may not be a remarkable statement for some parents, I suppose.  I know that most mothers have a fairly high level of intimacy with their young children.  I would think that those who breastfeed etc. have few boundaries between themselves and their children in many ways.  Imagine meeting your children when they are about 3 years old.  All of that "by default" intimacy doesn't exist and you have to wait for it to develop over time like you do when making a new friend.  Don't misunderstand me.  I am not saying that there is an awkwardness between us.  I am their Mommy and they are happy to have me take care of their needs. 
My cutting up Hayden's food reminded him of a time when he was cut with a knife on his finger.  It seemed to be a sudden rush of memory.  I believe his auntie was cutting up his food when he tried to snatch a piece and she accidentally cut his hand.  He seemed to be reliving the moment in a way.  He was cradling his hand as if it was in pain as he passionately recounted the details as best he could.  I actively listened by asking as many questions as I could to keep the details coming.  He tried to show me where the cut was but I could not see a scar.  I told him that I was so very sorry and took his little hand and kissed it gently several times where he had indicated the "ouchie" had been.  His eyes were welling up with tears and so were mine.  There was this sweetness in the air between us like I have felt before only while listening to or making beautiful music or when praying and my spirit is really open.  I didn't quite know how to transition back to our meal.  [kinda like when you don't want a worship song to end] I just told him that I loved him and that he had "no more ouchies" for today.  He felt really safe and a bit more whole than he had minutes before and, honestly, so did I.
As I recounted that story to a very dear and wise friend this weekend, she reminded me that my Father in Heaven wanted to heal my "old ouchies" too.  Even the ones that don't bear a scar that I can point to.  It won't be the same as if it never happened but it will be healed.  Beautiful.  I have received much beauty in my spirit  this week and am very thankful.

2 comments: