About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

on parenting

In my long tenure as a parent [ha ha], I have already learned some very profound and wonderful things.
I will not attempt to summarize them in one blog post as most people don't have that much time to sit and read.  However, I am struck by how much I am learning.  Not just procedurally as in "when he does that, I should do this and not that" but also about myself and my God.  I am sure that you parents reading this have already made the same discoveries that I am referring to.

When I hear myself say things like "do it now and not when you feel like it or after you've played around a while longer" I think to myself "hummm how many times could God say that to you based on your actions."  Or when they are throwing a fit about a decision I am making but I know that there is no point in explaining it to them.  I know that they can't understand my reasons but I am doing what is best for them.  I know they will get over it as far as the tears go.  I am often struck by how I am the same way always wanting my answers and reasons for what is happening in my life.  Sometimes I even throw a little fit and cry when what is happening to me isn't what I was hoping for.  God must be siting up there going, "I know best, Little Girl, and you don't. Accept it and move on."
H&G playing "Momma and Baby". Garak is Hayden's baby who has to sit on his lap and do what he's told etc.
About myself I am finding our where my weak spots are in my personal growth.  I have come very far in many areas. Some of the things that still need to work on are surfacing and it is interesting to see.  Here is just another reason to be thankful for my children. They will take my further in my personal and spiritual growth than I have come to this point.  This comes back to the compassion and love that I am shown everyday by other people and God as well.  What a huge blessing, and an honor really, to be allowed to grow along side these cool little people!

1 comment:

  1. Amen.. I so know what you mean. I think being parents gives us just a tiny glimpse of our Father in heaven.

    ReplyDelete