About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's not that I don't have a heart

I've been wondering for while now why my heart is not breaking every day for Uganda and orphans and why I don't get choked up every time my precious babies do something new that they would NEVER be able to do had they been left in their situation.  I kinda pictured myself becoming an emotional wreck like I was after my 1st trip to Uganda.  I see other people react to the sight of the boys (remember demographically we are over 99% white here in Maine) when we go out in public and I read in their faces some of what I thought my heart would be doing.  I have been waiting for an emotional  thaw followed by a flood like we have here in Maine in the springtime.  It hasn't come like I thought it would.  Unrealistic expectation?  Today I read a story about Ugandan orphans and it made me feel sick in my heart and physically weak as well.  I also have signed up for a daily link sent to my email so I can pray for people in every country of the world this year.  [It is a big commitment, I know, but it's better to start and not do it perfectly than not to pray for any of them] The website sends you one country per day.  Reading the emails opens my eyes even wider and makes me feel so overwhelmed that I can't bear it and have to cry and just beg God to help them and change my heart so I remember that I need so much less than I have.  So it isn't like a don't have a heart.

Somehow my boys don't make me cry...usually.  I mean I cry when I'm afraid that I won't be a good mother or when I feel like I don't have what it takes to be calm and fair and loving and tender when I am out of ideas and nothing is working.

Will you endulge me while I explore this question?  I welcome --and would love to hear--any thought or observation you may have.  I have given it a lot of thought and I guess one big factor is faith.  Faith produces and calm and matter-of-factness in how I live my days out with the boys.  I mean, God told me to go to Uganda and get my children.  100% out of the clear blue.  From the moment He said "go" I have believed that I was going to come home with 2 little Ugandan boys.  Ok so here's a good point: It would be outside my normal behavior to weep constantly.  But I did when I got back from Uganda in 2009.  I think it scared Norm a little because I was so emotionally devastated which is really not normal for me at all. I was useless. I cried all the time.  I would try to talk about what was in my heart for adopting and I would not be able to finish an inteligible sentence. 

When we returned for the boys, we were on a mission quite literally.  It took all my physical stamina to stay on task and everything over there was a fight [see any of the posts from our 1st trip together] so I guess I didn't feel overwhelmed with emotion about the poor in general of the plight of the orphan in general.  I was focused and driven to succeed.  Unfortunately that didn't happen on our 1st trip this year.  Actually, at the end of that trip, my heart was wounded beyond what I thought it could bear.  I literally felt it breaking and was gasping for air unable to breathe.  I ached for my children.  I have come to understand through conversations here with them that they were aching for me as well.  That blesses me to know we were wanting each other.  I guess also it doesn't mean that becuase I adopted from the 3rd world that I have to become an advocate. Maybe it is as simple as that.  My mission is to these 2 boys.  I believe wholeheartedly that their rescue is 100% an answer to prayers offered up by their biological parents and others who were praying for Uganda and orphans in general.  Probably they are an answer to prayers that I was praying also asking for the honor of doing something significant for God without knowing that this would be the result.





1 comment:

  1. These are my favorite pictures so far, Well accept for Shumbunny and baby dolly's birthday. But Ugandan Toddlers enjoying Maine's snow with their Nor'easter hats on is priceless! I love you all. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete