About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Sunday, July 31, 2011

I knew this would happen

 Sometimes you know something but don't feel it or believe it.  When their guardians came to pick them up that Friday afternoon of May 20th, I saw the worry in the women's eyes and the sadness that we were really leaving without the boys.  I could hear my own voice saying reassuringly, "We will come back soon.  It is really just a few weeks from now.  We have to go home and work, but we WILL be back."  I knew what I was saying was true, but my heart didn't believe me.  When my precious babies walked out of the compound with their guardians, in my rational heart and mind I knew that I would see them again.  It seemed as if it was so far in the future that I couldn't bear to think of how long 12 weeks was.  Once the gate closed behind them, I stood dazed looking at the closed gate until Hannah, a little girl who had just left her family to stay in the compound, quietly and matter-of-factly mused, "It's hard to leave the ones you've been staying with."  I felt myself gasp and hurried to my room where it felt safer in case I crumbled into pieces; which I did do.  I lay in that state for a few hours until Norm scooped the pieces of me up into the car and we left for the airport.  Some pieces were left behind, but I have made due without them.
bye bye Momma (see my shadow?)

I knew it was still going to happen...but it seemed like forever away.

getting set...to go!
And now it is 2 weeks away, ONLY 2.  Count them 1...2. That is it.  Look at the countdown on the right hand side of the screen.  Do you know how fast that will go by?  Next thing you know I will be there!  Arrangements have been made.  Tickets purchased.  Suitcases are in various stages of being packed.  Many, many prayers have been raised.  We have no promise of ease or success but we have faith, hope and lots of love.

50 pounds packed and ready: 1 of the 4 that we're bringing

My dad said he was packing light.  That is a good thing because I have his 2 suitcases full already!
We are bringing back supplies for some missionaries we know over there.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rachel I pray and pray everday that you will get those babies back here soon! You are an amazing source of strength! I will now start to pray for you and your dad as you embark on this next step in your journey! Love-Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying as I type - your words reveal the depth of loss and tragic good-byes my precious daughter and son in law have experienced.
    Tears now dripping with rushing hope of a new trip with eyes wiser and proper certificates filed. Then of course my heart swells with great relief and joy that my hero will be by your side. He is excited and preparing in the spare moments of his extra busy life right now. But the hope of holding our grandsons and walking part of this journey not just as an expectant grandfather which is great, but as one who walks the path a ways with you our precious child is giving him a lighter step. much love,
    ylmwlyl,'Mom

    ReplyDelete