About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Now is the time

enjoying his 1st play dough

delighted by bubbles

climbing up daddy

tickling w/daddy

eating

stickers: why stop at one?

Something I have learned from Hayden is to be in the moment. Don't be planning the next one or fretting over the last one.  It a culture where great happy moments come few and far between, my experience is the Ugandans REALLY know how to celebrate when the moment calls for it.  At church they would throw their entire selves body and soul into their worship of GOD.  Something I have seen less often here in a country where we live in such blessedness and ease in comparison to them.  Hayden danced wholeheartedly and sang and clapped when it suited him. He threw his head back and belly laughed with a full open mouth when he was enjoying the moment and sobbed inconsolably when he was sad.  When he fell down playing or hurt himself trying something he was determined to master there were no tears -- a little gasp from the pain but then go on trying or playing because that matters most.  Is it too cheesy to say "feel you feelings".  Some people are weepy by nature or belly laugh at the drop of a hat.  I am more guarded.  I stuff my feelings in the moment and process them later when I am all alone in the safety of my car etc.  There is FREEDOM to be found in experiencing life as it happens. In the moment.

1 comment:

  1. You could do with some of that "feeling your feelings." It is not weakness it is strength that allows one to do so. Praying for every aspect of this journey you are on. Think velveteen thoughts!
    I bit ruffled and worn he became real. As do we.
    God is our refuge in the very presence of trouble.

    ReplyDelete