About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Monday, June 20, 2011

Jesus loves you but..

My friend has a T-shirt that says "Jesus loves you but I'm His favorite."  All deep theological thoughts aside about how Jesus may or may not have favorites, I keep circling back to this thought.  I may have been wearing that T-shirt in my heart.  Not in the sense that I actively thought about it, but it think the attitude was there. 
Presumption. Maybe you all are super humble and have never felt like this, but I am going to go out on a limb and say I can't be the only one.  In the privacy of reading this -- just between you and the screen -- can you admit that you may have felt like God owed you and that he let you down?  Thoughts like, "I have the inside track, Jesus and I are buddies, He owes this to me because I am doing a good thing etc."  Ok I know that looks horrible in black and white on the screen, but I can admit that I have felt that way.  Have you? 

I mean: Adopting is a good thing.  Rescuing people from poverty is a good thing.  Sacrificing financially to help others is a good thing.  Accepting people into your family who look nothing like you and raising them as your own is a good thing.  The Bible refers to God as the Defender of orphans.  We saw His hand directing us as things began to open up and connections were made and details started to come together.  So we pushed ahead and tried to make it work in April and May.  It didn't work.

God neither owes me a pat on the back, nor a favor nor an explanation.  I owe Him love, praise and devotion. period. 


they love music!
I started to learn this when I was in Uganda the 1st time, but suppose I had more to learn.  Doing good things and following God as best as you know how is not a guarantee that you'll be protected from hard things happening to you.  But sometimes I think that belief sneaks in with out us even being aware of it.  Why else would we be so disappointed when bad things happen or feel like such a martyr when we keep our faith through a trial?  Have you let this belief sneak in?  I can't be alone in this (I hope).  I'd love to hear your stories as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment