About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Sunday, August 28, 2011

hard but we learned some things

today has been a hard day.  now both boys are sleeping soundly for nap time.  there is a traceable cause and effect for everything that has happened and so I am not concerned but I am tired.  it seems it all stemmed from B not taking a nap yesterday.  because of that and J's short nap I put them to bed quite early.  I fed them before we ate and bathed and put them to bed and then we adults ate.  this was the first time I had done this. one result was good. momma actually ate her dinner all in a row while it was still hot and was able to have tea and cookies afterward with the grown ups.  another result was that after sleeping for 10.5 hours, the boys woke up at 5:30am.  this was a bit sad for me but what can you expect. that was a pretty long sleep for them!  it was still dark so we cuddled a few minutes but they were really ready to be awake.  so we did our little routine except that Momma wasn't really awake all the way so I was not really doing my usual think-one-step-ahead-of-them-activities-coordinator thing that I usually do and they started trying to entertain themselves which went very badly.  once again no fault of theirs for the fact that I chose to put them to bed early and didn't have enough things ready to do this morning, but there were a few knock down drag out fights (which were kind of adorable in a way if you could have turned down the volume). 
after a crying timeout for both boys on separate beds with the light off [yes it was still dark an hour after they woke up], we hit the reset button just as if we had just woken up.  had another snack on our soft blanket with our stuffed bunnies and then Momma had set up 2 "stations" [think kindergarten classroom] 1 was for playdough and one was for drawing and coloring. they were on either side of my bed on the floor. I sat on my bed and had warm-ish tea while they each played alone at one station.  this was the ticket to happiness it turned out.  they must be sick of each other...lol.  they after about 10 mins we switched sides of the bed.  about 25mins was spent happily playing alone. then we cleaned up while singing the "clean up song" from Barney and friends which they both sing with me and love to out things away in their toy box/drawer.  it was pretty admirable to have gotten up at 5:30am and not have breakfast or leave our bedroom for 2.5 hrs. {side note: luckily for everyone involved, we are the only ones staying in the guest house so we didn't disturb anyone else.}
btw: I seem to recall most toddlers that I know not eating very well...mine have to be cut off after they have eaten more than the adults at the table... hummmm. [in case you think I am mean and not letting them eat enough, J ate for breakfast today the following: a banana, 3 bites of pineapple and a few pieces of watermelon, 3 bowls full of porridge (cream of wheat) with milk and sugar and 2 entire large slices of french toast with syrup and was asking for more.  he could barely walk right he was so full.]
then we went to church were they were very good. I could not really understand anything that was said but at least we were on an outing which took up the entire morning and we ate lunch after we got home and then baths and naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment