About Me

My photo
Maine, United States
Happily married for 14 years- celebrating the reality that our children are home

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Calling Uganda

You may be wondering if it is expensive to call Uganda.  Well not the way my boys were doing it this morning.  Gramma Brimer came over to visit and have brunch and she had left her house phone in her pocket.  It wasn't getting any connection to the receiver since it was too far away but it was fully charged so it still made a noise when one pushed the buttons.  This was all the boys needed.  Hayden prompty began placing calls to Uganda.
--allo!
--wange!
--friends alliwah? [where are my friends]
--Friends? [note: at this point I asked him if he meant Matthew, Johhny, Marly and Natalie and he replied "Yesh!" then he continued to ask whomever he was talking to about everyone from the guest house]
--Tata Herb-u? Mama Ellen-y? an a motocarsh? [our hosts and their van. he LOVED that van!]
--mamma Junior? [the cook]
--Junior and Matthew's a school-u? [his bff's who left for boarding school while we were there]
--Tata Benji, Benji and Momma Benji [the groundskeeper and his family]
--baby doggie Roxie?
--okay bye bye seeyalater
--I love you!

it didn't cost a dime but he was satisfied having checked in on everyone that he cared about from our life at the guest house. LOVE IT!!
Elise & the boys

Norm's w/ some of our dearest friends today at the park

1st look at live Lobsters.  He looked at the menu and pointed at the picture of Lobsters and said "Johhny going eating lobshtah" so later in the meal I gave him a bite of mine and he chewed it curiously and then exclaimed "Lobshtah is yum yum!"  This kid was born to live in Maine!

2 little lobsters

several times I was asked if we could go out in those boats.  these boys need to go on a boat ride!

what a beautiful end to the evening. 10mins to home from here

Also, we are all still sick which may explain why I am still feeling very numb emotionally. I am really still just surviving day to day.  It was kinda bothering me that I wasn't more mushy and weepy and such.  After all this is pretty monumental to be home with the boys in my house!  I was encouraged by the events of this evening when we were putting the boys to bed after a lovely dinner at the Weathervane at Belfast harbor with our friends Josh, LeeAnn and Elise.  Norman was reading The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein [his favorite book which we noted with a lump in our throats tonight has a handwritten note from 1981 from Uncle Dave and Aunt Heather] with great passion to the boys as their bedtime story.  The tree had her own voice and the boy's voice got deeper as the pages went on.  It was one of the most precious things I have seen to date, quite frankly.  I wish it was on tape for me to watch again.  I do still have feelings.  They are just hiding under the sick and tiredness.  I could feel the tears starting to bubble up under the surface.  In my heart there was this sense of THIS is what I have been waiting for all these months.  Sweet stories at bedtime. The boys' first time hearing daddy read The Giving Tree Yes, I am really home and this is really my life.  

3 comments:

  1. I totally showed them lobsters at Hannaford the other day! They were doing little pinching motions. They look super-cute in the lobster cut-outs! You will start to feel again slowly but surely. I already miss them (and you) SO much! Can't wait to come visit again or for you to visit here. I'm sad that I am missing out on all the cute things they say and do! I hope they are still babies the next time I see them. This really is your life and what a life it is! ~Auntie Shalah

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you! it take time to adjust and be able to breath, you've been holding your breath for so long, mama! it's okay- they are here! it's real!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetest memories - Dad reading passionately to his children. You are blessed and there will be more moments to cherish. They are not going away. This IS your life now. It has been a monumental feat to get here. And your perseverance and the Grace of God made it happen. Fatigue will pass and you will enjoy every moment. Even the not so enjoyable ones.

    ReplyDelete